Why you should Install Carbon Monoxide Detector

Posted on 30th June, 2016 | Posted by admin

Male Electrician Testing Smoke Detector

What is carbon monoxide?

Carbon monoxide is known as ‘the silent killer’. It is an odourless, colourless gas that can cause serious harm to health, and in serious cases, death. Unlike a gas leak, carbon monoxide leaks don’t carry a risk of explosion, rather a slow-burning deterioration of health. The Carbon monoxide poisoning happens when the gas leaks into the air, and is inhaled. This can happen when a gas appliance is faulty, or hasn’t been installed or repaired properly.

What are the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning?

  • Dizziness
  • Fatigue and weakness
  • Drowsiness
  • Headache
  • Disorientation
  • Fits/seizures
  • Stomach problems such as nausea, vomiting and pain
  • Chest pain
  • Palpitations

An important thing to remember is that in cases of carbon monoxide poisoning, the symptoms seem to be apparent only when the sufferer is in the affected area, making carbon monoxide poisoning difficult to detect by a doctors’ test. Additionally, the symptoms are very similar to that of common viruses or the flu, making it sometimes tricky to diagnose. It is not uncommon for a sufferer to attend their GP surgery and to have no signs of exposure once they arrive, because carbon monoxide leaves the body relatively quickly once removed from the source. However it is important to pick up on, and act on carbon monoxide poisoning quickly before any long-term damage can occur.

It has been known for people to suffer from carbon monoxide poisoning for weeks, even months, before realising what’s going on. It is for this reason that you should install carbon monoxide detector in your home.

How to install carbon monoxide detector

1. You should install carbon monoxide detector in every room housing a gas appliance. Along with your annual gas boiler service, this is the most important step in keeping your family safe at home. Carbon monoxide detectors are designed to alert you before carbon monoxide reaches an unsafe level.

2. It’s important to make sure you install carbon monoxide detector in the right place. It should be between 1 and 3 metres from the potential source, and not blocked by any furniture. Installing it in the wrong place could cause it to go off when it isn’t necessary – or fail to go off when it is.

3. Ensure that you check it regularly to ensure there is sufficient battery power. We can install carbon monoxide detector in your home during your annual service – or any other time!

Gas central heating is a very clean and safe way to keep your home toasty, but it does require a little care and maintenance to keep it that way. Making sure your appliances are serviced regularly is very important. Faulty boilers are more likely to leak, causing dangerous carbon monoxide poisoning – and repairs done wrong can end up being lethal. Stick with a company you can trust, and call Gas Services today.