What should I do if I have a Carbon Monoxide Boiler Leak?

Posted on 31st March, 2018 | Posted by admin

Détecteur de fumée

 

  1. Turn off the boiler or the gas fire/gas appliance. DO NOT use the suspected appliance.
  2. Open all the windows and doors to get fresh air circulating the house.
  3. If you have children or pets, take them out into the garden.
  4. Call Gas Networks Ireland on 1850 20 5050
  5. Call in an RGII engineer as a matter of urgency. Most reputable companies have an out of hours emergency help line if needed. Never use an engineer without the correct credentials as this could be dangerous.

How to Safeguard Against a Carbon Monoxide Boiler Leak

Carbon Monoxide can be a scary, silent killer, but you can take simple steps to ensure your home stays Carbon Monoxide-free. Read on to find out how…

Install a carbon monoxide alarm in your home, near to your boiler and other gas appliances.

Carbon Monoxide alarms are relatively cheap and very easy to install. You can pick one up for around €15-€40 depending on the brand. Ensure you have one next to or close to your gas boiler and other gas appliances such as a gas fire. Gas boilers and gas fires are the biggest cause of Carbon Monoxide poisoning in Ireland and the government rolled in new legislation in 2014 ensuring that all new homes in Ireland built from September 2014 were installed with Carbon Monoxide alarms.

Arrange for annual gas safety checks carried out by an RGII Engineer on your boiler and all other gas appliances.

It’s only once a year and if it safeguards you or your family from the potentially lethal effects of carbon monoxide poisoning, it’s totally worth it.

What are the Symptoms of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning?

Although carbon monoxide poisoning can unfortunately be symptom less, there are some things to look out for:

Food poisoning or flu-like symptoms such as headaches, stomach ache or cramps, vomiting, dizziness, breathlessness and confusion.
Severe carbon monoxide poisoning can also lead to loss of consciousness, seizures and even death.
If you do think you or a family member has been affected by carbon monoxide then you should consult a doctor straight away and arrange a blood test for confirmation and treatment. Pets, young children and the elderly are particularly affected by carbon monoxide poisoning and should be seen as an emergency.

If you think you have a carbon monoxide leak please call Call Gas Networks Ireland on 1850 20 5050 and our office on North Side Office: 01 840 9425 or South Side Office: 01 490 1066 and we’ll arrange an engineer call out to your property. In the meantime, please DO NOT use the appliance.